What: Becker’s Healthcare, the leading source of cutting-edge information for the healthcare industry, named John M. Murphy, President and CEO of the Western Connecticut Health Network (WCHN) as one of the country’s top physician leaders. The 2018 list of Top Physicians Leaders of hospitals and health systems are individuals that have committed their careers to advancing healthcare access and delivery both as clinicians and strategic leaders.
When: This annual recognition was announced in November 2018
Why: The go-to healthcare business journal recognized Dr. Murphy for his healthcare leadership, business acumen, and his community and industry volunteerism.
Who: John M. Murphy, MD President and CEO, Western Connecticut Health Network, President of Danbury Hospital and New Milford Hospital
Detail: Dr. Murphy brings to life the vision and mission for WCHN, which is a growing and dynamic health enterprise. He is deeply rooted in the community and his devotion to serving the needs of a very diverse population is abundantly clear when looking at his many volunteer activities. As a busy physician executive running a $1 billion plus healthcare organization, he volunteers on a variety of national, statewide, and local boards and committees serving the greater good including most recently as the new Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Connecticut Hospital Association. Importantly, he still finds time to see under-served patients in the local specialty clinic and is a passionate advocate for those living in poverty.
Dr. Murphy’s responsibilities include:
- Overseeing a growing, dynamic, multi-facility, not-for-profit healthcare organization.
- Driving the organizational mission and setting the strategic direction of programs and objectives that enhance operational excellence and financial performance, and further the growth of WCHN — a $1+ billion integrated healthcare network.
- Working in collaboration with physician, nursing, and medical education leadership to align operational areas to support quality care, patient safety, service excellence, and research initiatives at Danbury Hospital, Norwalk Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Western Connecticut Medical Group, Western Connecticut Home Care, and associated subsidiaries of WCHN.
- Advocating for community health care with key local, state, and national regulatory and elected officials.
- Engaging with key community and political leaders in supporting WCHN’s goals and extending its mission to improve health and wellness in our region.
Catch up on the latest news at WCHN. Visit wchn.org/news today!
Manager, Public Relations
Director, Public & Government Relations