Slow-Cooker Chicken Lentil Casserole
This casserole is healthy, hearty, filling—and easy to freeze for a quick weeknight meal.
- Cooking oil spray
- ¾ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 large)
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 6 oz. portabella mushrooms, diced
- 1 lb. frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed in cold water to clean
- 1 jar mango chutney (9 oz.)
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced, plus more for garnish
- 1 quart no- or low-salt chicken stock
- 1½ cups water
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup brown rice
- Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron pan over high heat for one minute. Spray with oil, heat for 30 more seconds, then add chicken breast. Sauté until both sides are browned but not cooked through all the way, about five minutes.
- Place chicken and all ingredients, except for brown rice, into slow cooker. Cook on high for 2½ hours.
- Add rice and cook on high for 1½ more hours.
- If chicken breast hasn’t fallen apart, use a fork and knife to shred and mix it in casserole.
- Garnish with fresh thyme if so desired.
Serves 10; serving size is 2 cups. Each serving provides: 234 calories, 1 g total fat (0.3 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 17 g protein.
Salad on the Side
Pair this dish with a bright and flavorful beet salad for a tasty sit-down supper.