Mediterranean Kebabs with Lemon and Parsley
Grilling outdoors is a summer staple. These Mediterranean kebabs are a tasty twist on a summer classic with a citrus flavor.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced (about 2 to 3 cloves)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 oz. top sirloin or other beef steak cubes (12 cubes)
- 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ¾-inch cubes (12 cubes)
- 1 large white onion, cut into ¾-inch squares (12 pieces)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, rinsed
- 1 (4 oz.) red bell pepper, rinsed and cut into ¾-inch squares (12 squares)
- 12 wooden or metal skewers, each 6 inches long (if wood, soak them in warm water for five to 10 minutes prior to assembling kebabs to prevent burning)
Preheat grill pan (with the rack 3 inches from heat source) on high temperature. Combine ingredients for marinade and divide between two bowls (one bowl to marinate the raw meat and one bowl for cooking and serving). Mix the beef, chicken, onion, tomatoes, and red pepper squares in one bowl of the marinade and let sit.
After five minutes, remove food and discard remaining marinade. Place one piece of beef, chicken, tomato, onion, and red pepper on each of the 12 skewers. Grill or broil on each of the four sides for two to three minutes or until completely cooked (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees for beef and 165 degrees for chicken). Spoon most of the second half of the marinade over the kebabs while cooking.
Drizzle the remaining marinade on top of each kebab before serving (use only the marinade that did not touch the raw meat or chicken). Give each person three skewers.
Serves four. Each serving provides: 185 calories, 3 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Salad on the Side?
Consider pairing with a sunshine beet salad for a complete summer meal to enjoy outdoors.