Spring Vegetable Pasta or Rice
- 4 servings whole wheat pasta (½ cup cooked per serving) OR 4 servings brown rice (½ cup cooked per serving)
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, woody ends discarded and cut into ½ inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. fresh chives
- Zest from 1 lemon (about 1 tbsp.)
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (from about ½ lemon)
- 1½ tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup reduced-fat, crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta or rice according to directions.
- Heat a large, nonstick sauté pan over high heat for one minute. Reduce to medium, add olive oil, and heat for one minute. Add minced shallots and sauté for two to four minutes, until soft and just starting to brown.
- Add asparagus and peas. Sauté for six to eight minutes, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked. Add parsley, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, sea salt, and black pepper. Stir frequently for two minutes until cooked.
- Toss with cooked pasta or rice, then top with feta cheese. Serve immediately.
Serves four; serving size is 1 cup of vegetables and ½ cup of pasta or rice. Each serving provides:
- Vegetables and cheese: 79 calories, 2 g total fat (1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 684 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 6 g sugar, and 6 g protein.
- Vegetables and cheese with pasta: 289 calories, 4 g total fat (1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 684 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 8 sugar, and 13 g protein.
- Vegetables and cheese with rice: 239 calories, 3 g total fat (1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 684 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 7 g sugar, and 10 g protein.