Stuffed Cabbage Soup
For a twist on the classic stuffed cabbage rolls, try this simple soup on St. Patrick’s Day!
- ½ lb. ground round beef
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups sliced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 28-oz. can petite diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 14-oz. can low-sodium beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp. parsley
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Brown meat in soup pot. Drain fat if necessary.
- Add olive oil, then onions and garlic and sauté briefly.
- Add shredded cabbage and continue stirring.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and let cook for about 10 minutes on simmer. Sprinkle in parsley.
- To serve, put half a cup of cooked brown rice into a large bowl. Ladle stuffed cabbage soup on top.
Serves six. Each serving provides: 232 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 369 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 7 g sugars, and 12 g protein.
Go for the Green
To add more green to your plate on St. Patrick’s Day (or any day of the year!), try this six-ingredient side of Asparagus Spears with Lemon.