Guys, Check Out These 4 Prostate Health Tips
Men, let’s be frank: Your prostate is easy to take for granted. But if this gland gets inflamed, enlarged, or diseased, it can become a big concern. Here’s how to show your prostate the healthy respect it deserves.
- Do pelvic floor exercises. Your pelvic muscles help control the flow of urine, which is often affected by prostate problems. To keep these muscles strong, practice tightening them, which feels similar to stopping yourself while urinating. Hold for three to five seconds, then release and rest for three to five seconds. Repeat 10 to 20 times, three times daily.
- Get enough selenium. Studies suggest that men who don’t consume enough of this mineral may have an increased chance of developing prostate cancer. Nutritious sources include seafood, poultry, meat, eggs, dairy products, and grains.
- Limit fluids at bedtime. This may help if you’re waking up often to urinate—a common issue for men with prostate problems.
- Watch for red flags. Symptoms of prostate problems include:
- Frequent urination during the day or night
- Trouble starting urination
- Weak urine stream
- Urine leaking or dribbling
- Pain in the genital area
- Painful urination or ejaculation
If you develop one or more of these symptoms, see your health care provider. Depending on the cause, treatment options may include lifestyle changes, medicine, and surgery.
Safeguard Your Health
No matter your health needs, WCHN can connect you with a specialist or primary care provider who can help you manage your health. Take a look at some of our great providers here: