Staying Healthy During the Coronavirus Outbreak
With the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19), staying healthy is top of mind for most of us. While you’re probably taking all the preventive steps to keep the virus at bay, don’t neglect other aspects of your health. During this stressful time, it’s more important than ever to care for your whole body.
Choose a Healthy Diet
Whether you’re shopping for groceries online or stocking up in a store, be sure to fill your pantry and refrigerator with healthy options. Here are some ideas:
- Vegetables and fruits: Select a variety of produce. If you can’t buy fresh, opt for fruits and vegetables that are canned, frozen, or dried.
- Dairy: Choose low-fat or fat-free yogurt, milk, and cheese.
- Protein foods: It’s easy to find proteins that store well, such as beans, split peas, lentils, nuts, and nut butters.
- Whole grains: Look for varieties that list a whole grain as the first ingredient.
With gyms and health clubs closed, it may feel like your options for physical activity are limited. But there are plenty of ways to exercise in and around your home. Vary your routine with a mix of stretching, cardio, and strength training:
- Stretch: Take a break from work to stretch for a few minutes at least once a day. You can find free stretching routines on YouTube.
- Strengthen: Lift weights while watching TV or talking on the phone. If you don’t have weights, use bricks or water bottles. For lower-body strength, do squats or calf raises.
- Cardio: Take a brisk walk or run around your neighborhood, turn on your favorite music and dance, or join an online exercise class.
Get Enough Sleep
Most adults need at least seven hours of sleep each night. Improve your sleep by:
- Going to bed and getting up at the same time each day
- Keeping electronic devices out of your room
- Not staying up late to watch the news
Care from the Comfort of Home
If you do get sick (or need to talk with your doctor for any other reason), schedule a Virtual Visit. All you need is a smartphone or computer and we can set up an online appointment for you to receive quick, convenient care from the safety of your own home.